How To Have A Perfect Night’s Sleep
I very often find myself struggling to fall asleep. I have finally decided it was time to find some tips and tricks to help. I have created a list of some of my favorite sleep remedies.
- Take A Warm Bubble Bath: This is my favorite remedy. I am a bubble bath queen and if I could I would sleep in a bubble bath. I prefer using any lavender bubble baths. Lavender helps to calm and unwind your body and relieves any tension. It is said that after you get out from a warm bubble bath the drastic decrease in your body’s temperature makes you sleepy.
- Sleepy Time Tea: Sometimes having a “sleepy time tea” is just the thing you need to help you to fall asleep. Make sure your tea is not caffeinated. Any tea that has; chamomile, valerian, lavender, lemon balm, and peppermint are great options.
- Meditate: There are many meditations that help relax and unwind your body to help you to sleep better. I love meditating before bed. Even specific yoga stances help to make your body and mind sleepy. I enjoy the apps; Meditation Studio & Yoga Studio.
- Don’t Look At Your Phone, Read A Book: I know this is hard! It’s important to a good night’s rest. Instead of looking at your phone read a book. I will read a page and instantly I am falling asleep mid sentence. Works every time!
- Pitch Black: Create a pitch black environment. I don’t know about you but if there is any trace of light in my room I can’t sleep. I need my room to be dark. It really helps!
- Cold Is Key: I find it easier to sleep when my room is cool rather than warm. I’d rather cuddle up in blankets than have to worry about sweating the night away.
- Sleeping Sounds: I enjoy falling asleep to sounds of rain or the beach waves. This isn’t for everyone but for me it works. There are apps like Relax Sounds and Calm. These sleeping apps are a must for my bed time routine! They also offer a variety of different soothing sounds, not just rain.
- Write: If you can’t sleep because you have too much on your mind, write it out! I love journaling before bed. This helps to get all of my thoughts out from the day. I sometimes stress about things I have to do the next day and i’ll stay up all night just thinking about the littlest things. If I ever feel stressed out I will take out my notebook and jot it all down! It really helps to clear my mind.
- Don’t Nap: If I nap during the day, FORGET IT! I am never falling asleep. I know sometimes it is necessary to nap and refresh your body but it will only make it harder to fall asleep at night.
- 30 Second Cold Water: I know this sounds crazy but a face full of cold water may be what the doctor ordered. Submerging your face into a bowl of cold water helps to trigger Mammalian Dive Reflex. This lowers your blood pressure and heart rate which allows you to drift off into dream land with a calm sleepy system.
- Schedule: Getting your body on a solid sleeping schedule helps tremendously. If you have a set time when you go to bed and wake up your body acts like clock work. Eventually sleep will come naturally.
- Avoid Light: Sounds crazy but 1-2 hours before you go to bed you should avoid bright screens, backlit devices, tv, any bright lights. As I said above, the darker the better, it helps to relax your body. If you are trying to wind down your body, use dim lighting instead.
- Exercise: Exercising is important for many reasons but it is especially important to make sure you aren’t exercising too close to bedtime. The reason for this is because exercising elevates your body temperature. It’s important for your body temperature to actually decrease before bed rather than increase. Therefore you should exercise no sooner than 3-4 hours before bed. Morning exercise is ideal!
I hope you find these tips and tricks helpful!
Subscribe for more (: